Systems/Tools that will not be available during this migration period: May 28 – May 31, 2019
- Blackboard Learn
- Panopto – Users cannot view existing sessions or upload new recordings, but users can still record offline.
- Respondus – Users cannot upload to Blackboard Learn, but can still create/edit tests
Learn about new features following the upgrade to SaaS:
WCU will be migrating the Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) from being managed hosted to Blackboard Inc.’s cloud based offering known as SaaS (Software as a Service). The decision to move to the cloud during the next Blackboard upgrade was based on a recommendation of the WCU LMS team and the changing needs of faculty, staff, and students that use the Blackboard Learn system at WCU.
This upgrade is the same Blackboard Learn you already know and use, delivered on a modern cloud computing technology stack. With this upgrade to SaaS, you get all the benefits of a cloud architecture combined with the power of the Original experience that is already familiar to you as faculty and students from Blackboard Learn 9.1.
For this migration, we will be doing a full migration of data, meaning all the existing content and entire database records will be moved to SaaS.
- Zero impact to faculty and students during updates: With a cloud-computing environment, you benefit from continuous updates (new features, enhancements, fixes, etc.) with zero or minimal downtime.
- Higher quality: A SaaS model allows us to deliver maintenance, updates, and fixes to production faster than ever before, and the cloud platform easily scales during periods of high usage.
- Fast access to new features: A SaaS model allows us to deliver enhancements and new features faster than ever before, so WCU can have the latest and greatest features versus having to wait longer periods of time.
- Experienced Blackboard staff manages server operations 24x7x365, so WCU can focus on other strategic, mission-critical projects.
- Supports WCU’s Continuity of Operations Plan
- To learn more, please visit this Blackboard SaaS help page.