Select Page

This is an editorial opinion from the past Chair of the Faculty Senate and does not reflect the opinion of the Faculty Senate nor Western Carolina University.

Yesterday I introduced a resolution to the WCU Faculty Senate extending the option for students to select which classes if any to receive a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade this semester as opposed to a letter grade. S/U grades are not factored into the GPA, and this option allows students to progress in their career provided their programs do not require a minimum letter grade on a class to do so. The resolution was adopted, but not unanimously. The comments from opposing senators centered on their discomfort over making college less challenging given that we have already relaxed restrictions on caps on withdrawals and course repeats. Many of us, including yours truly, have eliminated course attendance requirements on our syllabi in anticipation of large numbers of students in isolation or quarantine from COVID-19. Some senators expressed alarm over chronic student disengagement with shockingly low student attendance in face-to-face and hybrid courses. One instructor also expressed distress over evidence of academic dishonesty with online tests being promptly posted by students on academic sharing sites such as Chegg. (Instructor pro tip: post your final exam on Chegg in advanced yourself, but with all the wrong answers. You are welcome.)

To my colleagues, I say just let your students have that satisfactory grade. This is the time for an understanding and supportive response. A recent conversation with my students about what they and their fellow students are experiencing this semester changed my mind on this issue, and I urge you seek those conversations. Could there be a more nuanced grade policy as the crisis continues? Sure. We can work on this next semester.

To the students who plan to abuse this opportunity, who will now plan to not study nor turn in that final project, who have chosen not to attend face-to-face or online class meetings, who view college courses merely as a boarding pass to be casually tossed once you get past the job market gatekeepers, I say a cruel reality will soon start dawning on you. First, not everybody who is reading this may survive the COVID-19 pandemic. Many who will may face lifelong health complications even if they are initially asymptomatic. Potential health issues include permanent loss of lung capacity, irreversible cardiovascular issues, liver and kidney damage, premature aging of the brain and even life-long erectile dysfunction (OK, can you please not go to that superspreader holiday party now?) 

Beyond this and as a result of this and the death of a quarter million Americans with as many yet to come, we are going to start seeing the collapse of industries and institutions that have been the key to maintaining our way of life as the crisis prolongs even with vaccine prospects. You who were born at the turn of the 21st century will inherit a more precarious world than the one I received at my college graduation, and I am sorry that my generation has failed you so. I could lecture you on all of the issues that even predated the pandemic and been accelerated by it, but many of your peers are perfectly capable of giving you this lecture (do check their sources). I know this because I have talked to them. Many have told me that they are choosing not to have their own children because they do not expect to either afford having them, see it as unethical to bring children into this reality, or both. This should give you pause. It used to be that existentialism was contemplated in the safety of a freshman philosophy course, but now we are all living a Camus novel.

I am in the business of higher education because what I see in what I teach are the tools that you will need to rebuild your world perhaps into something better. Will you really make the choice of leaving those tools behind, take that boarding pass that will likely have you shipwrecked in a post-COVID world without these tools? You will start losing sleep, just like many of your professors, college staff and administrators are already losing sleep over the crisis that is upon us. Or would you make the choice of taking this college opportunity seriously for your own sake irrespective of grade concerns. Nobody can do your learning for you. Nobody can assess your learning better than you. You are one of a hundred human beings on this planet who were given this opportunity. The State of North Carolina supports your education in the hope that you will carve a path forward for our people. You could choose to graduate from WCU with the confidence in your new skills that you may improve the quality of your life and the lives of others, and with knowledge of the ethical imperative to become a creative problem solver and thus finding a life worth living.

Are we giving a break to some students who do not deserve one? Most likely yes. Right now, as I contemplate the future of this work, my mortality and health of my friends and family, my main concern is to support the students who get it and will make the right choice and get them through. At this point, this is the only card that we faculty have left.