Select Page

I write to clarify.

I have built no fence, no wall.  Nor am I upset at any Senator for any reason.  Each Senator has every right to be heard and vote the way they so choose.

Rather, the crux of my disappointment surrounded process. The item on the agenda was to consider whether to draft a resolution, not to vote on a resolution. During the Overflow meeting, I asked Larry Hammer, “what is the drop-dead deadline?” He replied, “Friday.” Thus, those who wanted to do the hard work of writing a resolution had time, albeit severely limited, to draft a thoughtful and distinct resolution; one that reflected Fall 2020 realities and considered the concerns of the other side. This, a compromise of sorts; a resolution that more Senators (and students) would’ve felt good about. Of course, this would’ve required the expenditure of a considerable amount of energy, effort, and time. Thereafter, the Faculty Senate would’ve had to have met in Emergency Session today to discuss, debate, and vote on the merits of the proposed resolution. This was the “duty that the brave endure” I was alluding to in the footnote to Mackay’s poem. But, why expend the time and effort when we could simply extend the old one? Because we were charged with bringing forth a resolution that took into account, to the greatest extent possible, the concerns of faculty and students alike who did not support a blanket S/U option. And, together, I believe we could’ve done just that.