Western Carolina University’s Staff Senate is an elected body that represents the university’s permanent, non-faculty employees. The Staff Senate serves in an advisory capacity to the Chancellor and other university decision-making bodies and meets monthly to discuss staff members’ ideas and concerns. We hope you will enjoy getting to know your 2020-2021 WCU Staff Senators!

Get to know Will Love

What do you do at WCU:  I am a helpdesk tech support analyst for the Division of Information Technology -Systems and Operations department
Education: BA is in English
Where are you from? Some say Mars some say Browns Summit NC (NE of Greensboro) currently living the dream in Canton NC
How long have you been at WCU? Since 2006! (they can’t get rid of me, I mean… they can’t do without me)
What is your academic background or special training you’d like to share? My BA is in English. I love analyzing storytelling in different mediums -writing for a TV show vs a short story or the way a painting or a song can give you a new perspective on the world or deliver a punchline. I’m also really proud of the house remodeling I’ve done (are we ever really done?) with my wife! I play guitar and study music theory. My upcoming projects are building a sauna and restoring a 100 year old pump organ.
What is your favorite thing about working at WCU? Having worked here for a while I like that people recognize me and say hey when they see me around. (even though I’m really bad at remembering which names go with which faces myself!) It usually makes me feel like a super-hero and not just a guy with weird hair. I genuinely enjoy the sense of camaraderie, friendship ( and dare I say belonging?) that this community offers. This is a real family and I wouldn’t be the same person without it. Thanks y’all. Love you Catamounts!
How long have you been a WCU Staff Senator for? This is year 2 on the senate for me and it’s been a big one – My first child was born and this is my first pandemic as well.I remember there was a lot more food and coffee the first year. This year I have to drink my own coffee and eat my own scones… what’s up with that? This year I am on the Scholarship and Professional Development Subcommittee and hold the position of Technologist for the Senate.
Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you or your role? I just celebrated the birth of my first child in May! William Nicholas Love. I haven’t been able to show him off enough because of lockdown. My wife Lisa and I are thrilled and I have to admit the lockdown has given me more time with him than I would’ve had otherwise. As your Staff Senate Technologist I’m happy to help with any tech questions or projects you have for me, and as your friendly neighborhood IT helpdesk technician I’m also contractually obligated to help answer any tech support questions you have for me. Go Cats!