Q: What year did you graduate from WCU?

A: December 2016.

Q: What was your concentration and minor?

A: Broadcasting and a double major in Political Science.

Q: What are your career highlights? 

A: I am currently a reporter with WNCT in Greenville, N.C. I have served as an intern for both WYFF News 4 in Greenville, S.C. and Fox 5 Atlanta.

Q: Why did you choose the Communication department over other majors at WCU?

A: I came into Western Carolina University as a music major. Within one semester I knew that was not my fit or direction in life, so I made a change. I found the communications department through a friend who told me what he was studying, and I was hooked. I have always been intrigued with the news. I watched it daily starting in middle school. I never thought I would be good enough or have the skill set to pursue television journalism. Several years, and a ton of hard work later, I’m a reporter in a top 100 market right out of college.

Q: What is the most important principle or skill you learned while in the Communication department?

A: One of the biggest things I learned through the department at Western was the importance of solid writing. Clean, crisp writing that gets to the point in a direct way is something I work on daily.

Q: Where did you complete your internship? What was the most important thing you learned from this experience?

A: My internships changed my life. In fact, as the commencement speaker in 2016 I mentioned how crucial solid internships are to my success. My first internship was at WYFF New 4 in Greenville, South Carolina. It is a phenomenal station with an excellent internship program. My second internship was at Fox 5 Atlanta and was an unforgettable experience. To this day I use things I learned there, and I have found my experience has put me steps ahead of the rest with my level of experience. These two internships exposed me to top newsrooms that function at the highest level. As a student, seeing this and being exposed to reporters at the top of their game showed me what is possible in this business.

Q: How would you characterize the impact of the WCU Communication department on your career?

A: The communications department at WCU set me up with a solid foundation to how my industry works. Working in a top of the line studio, using hand-held cameras similar to ones I use as a Multi Media Journalist, gave me a solid understanding of what to expect after graduation.

Q: Thinking back about your time as a WCU Communication major, what is your favorite memory?

A: My favorite memory as a communications major would have to be the atmosphere of our classes. I graduated with a double major and there is something unique about the people in the department. Having classes full of very social people made for interesting class discussions and projects.

Q: What would you tell a prospective student wanting to major in Communication at WCU?

A: I would encourage any prospective student to strongly consider a major in the communications department. The more you put into your work the more you will get out. I am living proof of that principle. It all starts with hard work in the classroom, which leads to landing a solid internship, which puts you steps ahead of your competition. Hard work really does pay off.

Q: Please provide your LinkedIn and any other social media contacts you’d like to share.

Twitter: @BrandonTruittTV

Instagram: @itsbtruitt

Facebook: @wnctbrandontruitt