Brandon Allen, a 2015 alum with a degree in Communication and Public Relations concentration currently holds the position as the Senior Manager, Wine Club and E-Commerce for Scheid Family Wines in Monterey, California.

Why did you chose communication as your major?

A degree in communications allows you to be so versatile in career choices and adaptation. While I think I have been adept in many areas throughout my career, having a degree in communications has been a benchmark of my growth and success.

Where did you complete your internship? What did you gain from your internship?

I completed my internship with an adventure tour company called Au Pair Adventures. Besides an awesome summer traveling the United States, I was able to utilize skills learned at WCU to develop awareness campaigns, driving social media growth and increases in future sign ups.

What classes really stood out at WCU that have helped you obtain/thrive in your current profession?

For me the most memorable classes were all the plethora of public speaking classes (I still remember how much fun Dr. Manning’s extemporaneous speeches were). Beyond that, I grew the most in the client based classes such as CatComm and PR Campaigns. These two classes exemplify one of the reasons I chose WCU. Many universities focus on a theoretical approach, where as at WCU, you are hands on and helping local businesses in the surrounding community.

What skills did you gain from the communication classes that have benefited your professional life?

They are too numerous to shortly list! From graphic design in the lab, strategic communication in Campaigns, or simply the confidence I gained in public speaking, every class imparts some piece that advances you when you leave Cullowhee.

What advice would you give a future WCU communication student?

Take full advantage of the resources available to you (i.e. the amazing professors). They are there to help you succeed and push you further than you thought possible. Also, make sure to find time to enjoy the beautiful area around you. Cullowhee is truly a special place.

Please feel free to include anything else that you would like to add.

Just that I would really like to emphasize the talent and desire for student growth found within the department. It is unparalleled!