Dan Sewell, a first-generation, graduated from Western Carolina University in 2020 with a degree in Communication with a concentration in Broadcasting and a minor in Social Work. He chose Communication as a major because of his ambition to be on the air.

After graduating from WCU, Sewell landed his first gig in the radio industry at 105.7 FM WRGC in Sylva. 

“First and foremost, as a first-gen, just graduating from a university was a big deal, and landing my first gig in the radio industry was the feather in my cap,” he said. 

Although Sewell isn’t currently working in the broadcasting industry, he is determined to get back in as soon as possible. 

“After getting back into radio, I plan on promoting my show, The Edge With Dan, and doing all I can to get it on the air and, if possible, well known enough to be syndicated,” he added. 

Moreover, making connections helped Sewell the most in his career, and networking was one of the most important things he learned through the WCU Communication Department.

“Network, network, network. Remember, never be afraid to put yourself out there because you never know what may be waiting for you right around the corner,” said Sewell. 

Lastly, Sewell advises students always to take advantage of everything available because those opportunities may never return. 

“I know you can do anything you put your mind to,” he said .”Never give up on yourself, your potential, and what you can do with your opportunities at WCU.”

Students can reach out to Sewell on his Instagram .