Lucy Jones graduated from Western Carolina University with her degree in Communication and concentrations in public relations and journalism in December 2018.

Jones was drawn to communication because of its enormous range of career opportunities that are built upon creativity. 

“I wanted to find a degree and a job where I could use my passion for storytelling and make a living from it,” said Jones.

Currently, Jones works for Kudzu Brands in Asheville, NC, as a Content Specialist.

“I develop content strategies for various clients’ social media,” said Jones. “Additionally, I copyedit, copywrite, develop client messaging into effective and understandable content, and maintain a clear and consistent brand voice, website content maps, social media posts, blogs, case studies, press releases and so much more.” 

Within Jones’ profession she utilizes important soft and hard skills, such as research and interviewing skills, strategic thinking, interpersonal and team player skills, content management systems knowledge, attention to detail, organization and creativity.

The communication field allows Jones to blend her passion for creative writing and helping people.

“Communication is a universal attribute. We must learn how to communicate effectively and build/maintain relationships,” said Jones. “Additionally, there are endless avenues to explore in Communication. I love working in an industry that allows me to learn how to build awareness of how to convey information to diverse audiences effectively, with specific business goals in mind.” 

While at WCU, Jones was a part of the Western Carolinian Journalist. She encourages students to take participate in extracurriculars relevant to the field and challenge themselves.

“My advice is to give yourself grace. Be patient. Trust the process. Never give up,” said Jones. “The more experience you gain, the better your chances of nailing down a position after college. Above all, find a job that doesn’t feel like a job. You are meant to do more than work to live, love what you do!”