Dr. Mindy Weathers, Associate Professor of Health Communication, presented her Social Media and Environmental Communication research at the 2024 International Communication Association (ICA) Regional Conference in Warsaw, Poland, March 13 to 15.

Weathers’ presentation on Social Media and Environmental Communication examined the media framing of climate change in the U.S. as a public health issue on Facebook. 

It surveyed the discourse surrounding climate change in health contexts.

Weathers’ study provided a baseline assessment of how climate change, in the view of public health, is being presented to the American public through news outlets, and social media platforms. The study included suggestions for media and environmental practitioners to provide better reach and influence individuals.

“It addresses a pressing issue that intersects with my research interests in health and environmental communication,” said Weathers. “Climate change is one of the most significant global challenges we face, and its impact on public health is profound. By examining how climate change is framed as a public health issue on social media platforms like Facebook, I aim to shed light on how health information is disseminated and consumed, particularly among online audiences.”

As an advocate for environmental sustainability and health communication researcher, Weathers chose this topic because it bridges two critical areas of her study: health and environmental communication.

“I am deeply invested in understanding how health-related issues are communicated to the public, and climate change is increasingly recognized as a significant public health concern,” said Weathers. “Additionally, I believe that effective communication about climate change is essential for mobilizing action and fostering environmental stewardship.”

Weathers was chosen to present at the ICA Regional Conference because of the quality of the research and the piqued interest in providing a unique perspective on climate change discourse in the context of public health. 

Her topic aligned well with the conference theme, Human Tech Transition.

However, this is not Weather’s first international presentation. She is currently studying interpersonal romantic relationships and social media use among college students. 

“I enjoy presenting research because it provides an opportunity to share knowledge, spark dialogue, and contribute to the advancement of the communication field,” said Weathers. “Presenting allows me to connect with fellow researchers, practitioners and students who share similar interests and passions. It also enables me to disseminate findings from my research and potentially influence policy, practice, and public understanding of health and environmental issues.”

Weathers values presenting her research because of the enhanced work it brings as a professor by staying current with the latest developments in the field and sharing and discussing trends with students. It also provides important networking opportunities, fosters collaborations with other scholars and professionals and helps elevate the visibility and impact of research.

“My presentation at the 2024 ICA Regional Conference in Warsaw was a valuable opportunity to contribute to the scholarly conversation on social media, environmental communication and public health,” said Weathers. “I am committed to continuing my research in these areas and sharing my findings with academic and practitioner communities worldwide.”