Kaitlyn Burns, a communication major at Western Carolina University, was crowned Miss North Carolina Collegiate USA 2024 on April 6 at NC State University’s JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, NC.

Burns is a senior in Communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in hospitality and tourism. She is applying to continue her education in fall 2024 at the University of North Carolina Wilmington with a master’s in integrated marketing communications.

For four years, she has been a member of Phi Mu Gamma Mu and on campus she has held leadership positions, like philanthropy chair during her sophomore year.

Burns has competed in pageants since she was six and has held local and state titles throughout her career. Burns entered the Miss North Carolina Collegiate USA state pageant for the scholarship opportunities.

“It feels incredible! I am so honored to represent their brand and organization across the state of North Carolina,” said Burns.

She hopes to bring more publicity to Miss Collegiate USA and “make the system even bigger than it already is,” said Burns.

Burns plans to appear throughout the year as Miss North Carolina Collegiate USA to support her heart for volunteering.

“Volunteering is a big part of my life.  I am planning to work with organizations such as the Salvation Army, United Way and Relay to Life to give back to my community in any way possible,” said Burns.

She will also throw the first pitch for the Hendersonville Honeycrisps in June.

Burns will use the crown to spread awareness of her initiative, The Hope Project. The project brings awareness for childhood eating disorders and stands for “helping others with eating disorders,” said Burns.

Burns had an eating disorder from 12-18 years old and wants to bring awareness and help across the nation for these disorders.

“No child should suffer in silence. I hope to be their voice and advocate for them and their health,” said Burns.

The scholarship will lessen her financial burdens. She works part-time and uses loans and payment plans to pay for her school.

“To have the ability to win the scholarship and lessen my financial burden would mean everything to me,” said Burns.

Family, close friends, and coaches have supported Burns in this journey.

Her mother is a major support for her. Burns and her mother will practice her stage walk and mock interviews so that “I can show the best version of myself to the judges,” said Burns.

Burns emphasized that pageants are a sisterhood meant to build women up.

“For me, winning is not everything. Pageants are about the experiences you have and the people you meet in the process,” said Burns.

“I would say to be your authentic self. No title is the same. We all have our unique personalities and accomplishments, and we should celebrate those differences. And also go into it with an open mind because pageants are not what you see on TV and the small glimpses you see on social media. They are a space for young women to grow and build confidence this organization is a prime example of that.” said Burns, when asked what advice she would give someone interested in competing.