Dr. Melinda “Mindy” Weathers is one of the two new faculty that has joined the communication department this semester at Western Carolina University.

“I chose Western because of the university’s strong commitment to academic excellence and its diverse and talented student body,” said Weathers. “Western provides an ideal environment for teaching and research, with a focus on interdisciplinary collaboration that aligns perfectly with my research interests in Health Communication.”

She received her doctorate in Health Communication from George Mason University, her master’s degree in Speech Communication from the University of Houston and her bachelor’s degree in Speech Communication from Texas A&M University. 

“Health Communication is crucial to teach because it equips students with essential skills that can have a profound impact on public health outcomes,” said Weathers. “In an era of information overload, teaching effective communication in healthcare settings is vital.”

Weathers was drawn to the opportunity to explore how communication strategies can enhance patient-provider interactions, public health, health education, and overall well being.

“My research interests in Health Communication stem from a passion for improving health experiences and outcomes,” said Weathers. “I have seen the transformative power of effective communication in healthcare settings, and I’m dedicated to exploring innovative ways to enhance it.”

Weathers is a first-generation college student who, outside of teaching, enjoys reading, spending time with her husband and twin daughters and traveling to adventurous places.

“My favorite memory is from our trip to South Africa, where we went shark cage diving in Gansbaai, arguably the best shark cage diving destination in the world,” said Weathers. 

Her favorite part of Western and the communication department so far is the strong sense of community and collaboration.

“The university fosters an environment where students and faculty work closely together to address real-world challenges,” said Weathers. “I’ve been inspired by the enthusiasm and dedication of both my students and colleagues, making every day at Western an enriching experience.”

Weathers was born and raised in Allen, Texas and has lived in Texas, Virginia and South Carolina. She has taught at Clemson University and Sam Houston State University before coming to Western.