Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ, and staff representatives of the Western Carolinian attended the SPJ National Convention, from Sept. 28 to Sept. 30.

Students included Saydie Bean, Liam Bridgemen, Stewart Butler, Cora Haste, Marrah Ste. Marie and Abigail Quinn. 

The SPJ is a national journalism organization dedicated to encouraging the free-practice of journalism and a high ethical standard. The conference teaches students more about journalism from professionals in the field.

“We attended keynote speeches, breakout sessions and panels to learn about sensitive topic reporting, how to acquire documents, writing headlines and interview etiquette,” said Cora Haste, sophomore at Western. “The conference was also a great networking opportunity. We met students and professors from schools across the nation. We also met working journalists.”

The leaders of the campus chapter of SPJ and the Western Carolinian went to gain skills to lead workshops at Western as well as improve the culture of the campus SPJ chapter and campus newsroom with the newly acquired skills.

“A big takeaway from the trip was from a panel session on getting the best interview for a story,” said Haste. “It inspired me to really dig into each story and person I am interviewing before I sit down for a conversation. I will be taken more seriously if I am informed. I will also be able to write a better story.”

The conference not only allowed students to hear from professionals in the field and gain important understanding of skills for the journalism field, it also provided student leaders opportunities to bond. 

“My favorite part of the trip was attending sessions with people from WCU. Not only did we learn more about journalism, we also learned more about one another,” said Haste.