All Courses on Canvas in...
Canvas Instructor Guides
Canvas Student Guides
Login to Canvas
Canvas Pilot & Migration Support
New in Canvas:
A “Growing with Canvas” course will be provided to you in your Canvas dashboard which highlights everything you need to know about getting started with and using Canvas. The “Migrating from Blackboard to Canvas” page will also provide useful information regarding steps for moving from Blackboard to Canvas with details highlighting differences between Canvas and Blackboard.
Help for Instructors and Staff:
Upcoming opportunities to attend Canvas training will soon be posted and available by registration.
Support for Instructors, Students and Staff
There are many ways to get help with Canvas. For most basic “how to” questions, we encourage all of our instructor users to first go through the Growing with Canvas (Teacher Training) course. All student users are encouraged to go through the “Passport to Canvas for Students” course. Resources are provided within Canvas in the Canvas left navigation menu at the bottom.
If you are not able to login or do not know how to use a WCU tool like Panopto or Zoom, please contact WCU IT help.
Canvas Mobile Apps
The Canvas Community is a collaborative space where community members share ideas, find answers and join groups. Everyone has access to the Canvas Community which is an immense resource of easy to navigate information.
The Canvas Community is also a very active and effective place to influence how Instructure prioritizes and develops changes to its product. We recommend becoming familiar with the community to get the most out of your Canvas experience.
Discover more about Instructure’s feature development process to submit a feature request.
Moving from Blackboard to Canvas
- Where should I start?
- Are my old courses in Blackboard being migrated into Canvas? Yes, most courses going back to Spring 2020 will be migrated to Canvas.
- What course content in Blackboard will migrate well into Canvas?
- Are there equivalent features and functionality between Blackboard and Canvas?
- Is there a checklist to follow if my content has been migrated? Yes, the “Migrated Course Checklist“ can be downloaded here.
All media in courses (MP4, MP3, WAV, etc.) files will need to be uploaded to Panopto by March 2021.
- How do I backup media files from my Blackboard course to Panopto? A guide is available to help you learn how to export media from Blackboard and upload to Panopto here.
- Can I still use Panopto in Canvas? Yes, Anything stored in Panopto will be available in your Canvas course. You will need to double check that the Panopto links still point to the correct video (URL). Watch a video to learn about moving and using Panopto in Canvas. (2:21min)
- Will Panopto video links in my course that was migrated from Blackboard still be linked? Panopto video links will need to be checked to verify links are pointed to the correct Panopto video session.
- Narrated PowerPoint presentations in were in my Blackboard course and students had to download them to hear the audio. Does Canvas offer a better option? Yes, Recording lectures with Panopto can eliminate the need for students to download a presentation to view content and can easily be shared in Canvas.
- Do I have to use Panopto to record or store media? No, however Panopto is supported at WCU with greater security and there is no additional cost. View media & screen capture options here
The Canvas LMS is built for adaptability which allows for the integration of third-party integrations simple. Here is a list of available integrations (3rd party tools,called LTI’s) in Canvas at Western Carolina University.
We have exciting news for you about Canvas! All faculty and staff now have access to Canvas! Click on the graphic or go to (https://westerncarolina.instructure.com/) and log in with your WCU username and password. The entry point is the Dashboard where you will...
After an extensive process of review by faculty, students, and staff, Canvas by Instructure has been chosen as our next Learning Management System (LMS). Canvas provides a superior user experience for faculty, staff, and students, as well as mobile capabilities and...