When and where is the conference?
April 1-3, 2022, the 3rd Annual Southeastern LatinX Student Leadership Conference (SL-SLC) will be held at Western Carolina University (WCU) in the A.K. Hinds University Center.
What's happening at SL-SLC?
Who can attend the conference?
While SL-SLC focuses on LatinX students, this conference is open to students of all racial backgrounds who want to learn more about the LatinX community, improve leadership skills, and explore graduate school options. There will also be opportunities for advisors of all racial backgrounds.
Who's on the conference committee?
The student leaders in the LatinX Appreciation Student Organization are the creators and drivers of this conference.
Check out the 2022 SL-SLC Student Committee.
The larger conference committee consists of WCU leaders from Campus Activities, the Center for Community Engagement, the College of Engineering & Technology, Intercultural Affairs, Student Affairs, Human Resources, Center for Career and Professional Development, and the Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity Programs.
How much is registration? How do I register?
What is the cancellation policy?
Registration fees are refundable up until March 10, 2022. No refund will be issued for cancellations that are received after this date.
How do I become a presenter?
How do I get to Western Carolina University (WCU)?
WCU is located at 1 University Way, Cullowhee, NC 28723. DIRECTIONS
- From Asheville, NC, and points east: Follow I-40 West to Exit 27 (Highway 74 West). Follow Highway 74 West to Exit 85 in Sylva. At third light turn left onto Highway 107 South. Follow Highway 107 South to campus.
- From Knoxville, TN, and points west: From I-40 East, take Exit 27 to Highway 74 West. Follow Highway 74 to Exit 85 in Sylva. At third light turn left onto Highway 107 South. Follow Highway 107 South to campus.
Where can I stay overnight?
Here are some nearby hotels:
- Comfort Inn Sylva (3.73 miles)
- Best Western Plus River Escape Inn and Suites-Dillsboro (8.3 miles)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sylva (8.5 miles)
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham (9 miles)
- Quality Inn-Sylva (7.2 miles)
A block of rooms will most likely be reserved at Comfort Inn and Microtel. Group codes will be provided here once the blocks are established.
Note: Reservations can be pulled into a block if made before the block is established.
What is appropriate attire for the conference?
The official 2020 SL-SLC dress code has not been set, but it will most likely mimic the 2019 dress code:
- Workshops: Business Casual
- Opening Reception: Dressy Casual
- Comedian: Dressy Casual
- Workshops: Conference T-Shirt
- Keynote: Semiformal
- Banquet: Semiformal
- All Day: Business Casual
We are asking that you please do not wear: yoga pants, jeans with holes, shorts, or sweatpants.
What are the dining options?
WCU offers many dining options on-campus. Check out Campus Dining to learn more.
There are some local establishments on and near campus:
- Subway (on-campus, Noble Hall)
- Chili’s (on-campus, Noble Hall)
- Hillside Grind (on-campus, near Noble Hall)
Where can I park?
Please view the SL-SLC Map to find the University Center(UC) and Blue Ridge where the conference will take place as well as ideal places to park on Saturday and Sunday. On Friday, vehicles will need to drop off attendees behind the UC and park in the baseball lot. We’ll have directional signs to direct you to the back of the UC and volunteers to direct drivers to and from the baseball lot. Click here to view the full campus map.
What services are available for attendees with disabilities or special needs?
We encourage persons with disabilities or special needs to participate in conference activities. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 9, 2022, to request ASL interpreter services or other accommodations. If you have dietary preferences/restrictions, please be sure to mark those in the space provided on the registration form when you register.
If you have any other questions that aren’t addressed above, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.