The PR Committee plans and coordinates the majority of senate communication related to events, opportunities and general information. The goal behind all communication is to inform, engage and increase staff involvement with Staff Senate. The committee maintains the Senate’s website, social media pages (WCU Staff Senate and WCU Employees) and publishes a monthly question that relates to current thoughts/concerns around campus. This committee also strives to increase employee service opportunities and works diligently with campus partners in planning service and appreciation events. The Community Service Liaison officer position serves on the PR committee. This role works with the committee to advocate for, engage with and communicate specific community service events.
Current Committee Members:
Chelsea Reavis (Chair), Deborah Millican (Co-Chair), Adrienne Applegate, Wendy Buchanan,Vicky Heatherly, Patrick Hinkle, Deidre Hopkins, Donnie Johnson, and Suzanne Melton
Achievements from 2019 – 2020
The Public Relations Committee revamped the years of service celebration by hosting an event with snacks, guest speakers and plaques for all employees for reach a milestone for their years of service. Milestones are awarded for every 5 years and 210 plaques were awarded to the deserving faculty and staff.
In the 2018/2019 academic year, we successfully met our community service goal of 450 hours with 100% participation by senate members. We were fortunate to have contributed close to 700 hours of service with 100% participation by June.
Initiatives for 2020 – 2021
- Employee Recognition
- Participate in 450 hours of community service
- Continue event involvement
Other Highlighted Efforts
The Public Relations committee works with campus and community partners to provide memorable, enjoyable, and practical benefits for WCU employees.
- Employee Appreciation Photo Booth: Take a moment to be appreciated. Staff Senate sets up a photo booth with props so staff can let loose and take a funny photo! Check out some of our photos here.
- Discounts for WCU Employees: The Public Relations committee works with vendors to provide discounts to WCU Employees. You can see a list of the current vendors here.
- Question of the Month: Each month the Public Relations committee posts a question to get feedback from staff and faculty. These results are shared with the Chancellor, as well as other stakeholders who we feel would find the information useful and helpful. Please visit the Staff Senate Blog to see the most recent Question of the Month! We always appreciate your feedback.
Upcoming Campus Events
Do you know someone who goes above and beyond for their department or WCU? Staff Senate would like to recognize them with a shoutout of appreciation!
Some ways that a coworker may show this are by working early/late to finish a task, overal job consistency, pleasant attitude, superior work ethic, ect.