Western Carolina University’s Staff Senate is an elected body that represents the university’s permanent, non-faculty employees. The Staff Senate serves in an advisory capacity to the Chancellor and other university decision-making bodies and meets monthly to discuss staff members’ ideas and concerns. We hope you will enjoy getting to know your 2020-2021 WCU Staff Senators!

Anne

What do you do at WCU: Assistant to the Provost, Office of the Provost

Education: B.A. in Criminal Justice, West Georgia State University and Master in Public Affairs, Western Carolina University

Where are you from? Born in Ionia, Michigan; raised in Atlanta, GA; lived in NC since 1984

How long have you been at WCU? 13.5 years

What is your academic background or special training you’d like to share? I have 10 years working in mental health specifically as a trainer to prepare individuals with mental health diagnoses to work in the field side by side with those who are in crisis. I have my masters in public affairs and I am a certified Gallup coach able to provide individual, group and managerial coaching. I also am a certified NCBI instructor. In my past life I owned Jack the Dipper Ice Cream Shop for 16 years and have earned my first degree black belt and taught beginning karate to preschooler and provided self-defense training for women. I also taught Montessori School for 10 years.

What is your favorite thing about working at WCU? I love the community of people. Our community is full of loving and kind hearted people and that has been in great evidence during these very difficult times. We have our issues, as every workplace does, but by far this is an energetic, dynamic and fascinating place to be every day. I am proud to work at WCU.

How long have you been a WCU Staff Senator for? This is my second time serving as a Staff Senator (back when it was Staff Forum in 2007?), currently in my second year. I am currently working to establish wellness initiatives for staff on campus to roll out in the spring. Soon, I will be serving on a university-wide Communications Committee, hasn’t begun yet.

Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you or your role? My role has embraced a significant amount of change in the 13 years I have been here. At times this has been very difficult. However, learning to navigate new personalities, new structures and a changing environment has helped me to grow in myriad ways. I have learned that being positive and hopeful is infectious and a great thing to share. My interest include remodeling and renovations, reading and literacy, gardening, cooking, and spending time with my cats and dog.