Staff Senate will be doing a “Meet the Senator” series this academic year, letting all staff know who their Staff Senators are. In the spotlight this week is Kathy Boland. Kathy is an Admin Support Specialist in Financial Aid and this is her second year serving on Staff Senate. While on Senate, she has served as a Senator and member of the Scholarship and Professional Development Committee. She is also currently serving as the Professional Development Liaison on the Scholarship Selection Committee. When Kathy was asked “Why Western?” she stated “My ties to Western run long and deep. My great, great uncle Dave Rogers donated his land to the school that became WCU in the 1920s. My mother, Winnie Cotter Eye, graduated from Western Carolina Teachers College in the 1940s. My daughter, Megan Boland, earned her two undergraduate degrees from Western Carolina University and benefited from the Staff Senate Scholarship! My sisters also earned degrees from WCU.” Kathy says that one morning she was struggling to reach the door handle on her way into the building when a long arm reached out above her head and held the door open for her. The student simply said, “I got you.” This is just one example of why she loves WCU. Kathy states “I have been fortunate to work with wonderful students, staff and faculty who are kind and inspirational! Kathy really enjoys being a part of the Financial Aid team. She enjoys helping students achieve their educational goals and succeed in this beautiful setting! Kathy grew up in Hawaii and learned how to play ukulele and hula dance! We love having Kathy on Staff Senate! She brings so much with her and is always willing to lend a helping hand!